Core Coaching Competencies in Health, Fitness and Wellness
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
9:00am - 5:00pm
Presented by Margaret Moore, Founder and CEO of Wellcoaches Corporation
Join Margaret Moore – Founder & CEO, Wellcoaches Corporation, a strategic partner of the ACSM and the Medical Fitness Association, for a one-day workshop: Introduction to Core Coaching Competencies for Health, Fitness and Wellness Professionals. Margaret will teach and demonstrate current evidence-based coaching skills, including skills based on applied positive psychology. You will learn to work with your clients in a way that gives them the inspiration, motivation, and confidence to make lasting lifestyle changes. This workshop is appropriate for both experienced coaches and for those new to coaching.
1. Define Coaching Psychology and its theoretical foundations.
2. Describe the difference between the coach approach and the expert approach.
3. Examine the benefits of wellness coaching and the different models of coaching in healthcare.
4. Observe and practice the coaching process - Creating a Wellness Vision.
5. Explore Evidence-Based Mechanisms of Action in Coaching:
• Growth-Promoting Relationships
• Capacity to change
• Facilitating the Change Process
6. Practice Core Coaching Skills – empathy, mindful listening, reflections & open-ended inquiry, and skills to reduce ambivalence and resistance to change.
7. Discuss and understand the concept of coaching presence; the way one is "being” as a coach.
8. Explain how positive emotions and character strengths are deployed in the coaching process to build confidence and resilience.
9. Describe the components of a wellness plan.